Collier-Seminole State Park
|In the early 1940's Barron Collier, a wealthy advertising entrepreneur
and pioneer developer, made plans to design a park. By 1947, the land
Collier had chosen was turned over to the state of Florida for management
as a state park. Named in part for Collier and for the Seminole Indians
who had made the area their home, Collier-Seminole State Park was opened
to the public.
The dredge shown below is one of the dredges used to build the 1928 highway that cuts across the northern part of the Everlgades, running from Naples to Miami.
Photo by Rodney Wiley, courtesy of the FL State Parks site